Trust Education Theatre Project
The Trust Education Theatre Project was commissioned by ‘Until the Violence Stops’, a campaigning and educational organisation. The objective of the project was to change attitudes of tolerance to violence by using drama to explore issues around healthy and unhealthy relationships.
The Trust aimed:
- To explore young people’s expectations of relationships;
- To make young people aware of the impact of their behaviour on themselves and others;
- To encourage young people to take responsibility for their behaviour;
- To challenge young people’s perceptions of what is abusive;
- To enable young people to find ways to change relationships.
The Trust sent workshop leaders to up to 20 schools throughout Greater London over the period of one year. Selected groups of drama students (age range 13- 15 years)underwent over 10 workshop sessions which culminated in theatrical performance by each group to a large audience, that represented their understanding and outlook on violence in relationships. Additionally, teachers were invited to take part in training sessions.
Objectives of the project:
- Establish attitudes of young people to violence against women;
- Assess the effectiveness of drama as a method of exploring the issues;
- Assess the effectiveness of drama in bringing about a shift in attitudes and a greater understanding of the issues;
- Assess the effectiveness of this particular model.
- Questionnaires completed by the students before undertaking workshop sessions, to assess attitudes towards violence against women and girls.
- Questionnaires completed by the students at the end of the project, to assess any changes in attitude and understanding of the issues, and the effectiveness of the project.
- Focus Groups organised with students after completion of the project to discuss any changes in attitude and understanding and assess how students felt about the project as a whole. Again evaluated by short questionnaires issued to participating students before and after the group sessions.
- Questionnaires completed by teachers from each school upon completion of the project, to assess the effectiveness of the project.
- Short questionnaires issued to members of the audience at each school performance to assess the educational value of the performance.
CWASU were involved on a consultative basis and the evaluation of the project.
Grant Holder: Trust Education Theatre Project
Sponsor: Until the violence stops